Today I wanted to write a blog about the word Mother and what this word means to me.
When I think of the word mother, many words come to mind. The first word that I thought of was courageous! Then one word after another started to flood my mind.
- Fearful and Fearless
- Boss Lady (smile)
The list can go on and on! Some people may even add some funny, non-traditional or negative words on this list. Hmmm… unwavering, forgetful, argumentative, tactful, tactless, deviant, hardworking, emotional, non-emotional, sportive, lazy etc. (Just Keeping it Real)!
When I think of my mother, I think of a woman who is honest, caring, giving, historian, God-fearing, tactful and sometime tactless, religious, demanding, blunt, hardworking, wordy, humble and grateful! Now, I hope you realize not all of my descriptive words were positive, but this is who she is a strong Afro, Caribbean, Latino woman who is awesome. She is amazingly imperfect. She taught me to be BOLD, CONFIDENT, LOVING, CARING, HUMBLE, GRATEFUL, SUCCESSFUL, FORCEFUL, GIVING, UNWAVERING AND POLITE WHEN I AM NOT ANNOYED.
The 20 best advice my mom gave me:
- To be myself
- Don’t follow others
- Save money
- Be smart financially
- Look at your future
- Never let someone talk badly about you
- Your name is important and unique to you
- Be God-fearing
- Trust the Lord in all of your understanding, in other words, trust your gut when making decisions
- Love your environment because you never know when tragedy will hit
- Be conscious of your spending, and save for a rainy day
- Don’t live up to the Jones’ even if you can afford it
- Don’t lend money to friends and family expecting to get paid back… Give a gift, if that is what you want to do!
- Know where you are heading and keep your head up! (Keep your eyes on the prize)
- Retire Early – Do what you love! Be smart!
- Be educated – Knowledge is power! Get Your PHD… (I have my Masters – LOL)
- If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. “The less credit you have the better off you will be!”
- Let a man love you more than you love him! (Respect is the key!)
- Make sure, you let a man, be a man!
I love my mom! I hope that my kids feel the same about me!
Being a mother is HARD, TIRING, A LEARNING EXPERIENCE & FABULOUS, I never thought that I could love someone THIS MUCH! I love my girls!
HAPPY MOTHER’S WEEK 2015