Is the media pushing the button on sexuality?
Recently, I noticed that most of the popular evening programing have seem to be pushing the level of sexuality. Is this exposure of sexuality causing the viewers to think more about their sexual fantasy and desires? Currently depicted on the screen are more threesomes, group sex, inter-sexual or bisexual behavior, accepted infidelity and fetish. Is this causing us to be more open or are we more pushing towards “traditional” sexual behavior? Hmmm…
Researching the internet I noticed that Sex and Media is only discussed about the effects on children. However, what about the effects on the young, middle-aged and old adults.
Where are the studies???
The Nerd in Me Info:
- Human sexuality is driven by genetics and mental activity. This activity can vary based on religious, cultural, social, educational and environmental factors.
- There are arguments whether nature or nurture is playing apart in sexuality. Nature meaning – sexual behavior is comes from instinct. Nurture meaning it is your environment that creates your sexuality.
- Many studies have shown that more than 1 hour of TV a day for children and teens can cause an increase amount of violence and sexual behavior.
- According to a recent survey of regular viewers of the TV program, ER, 53 percent said that they learn about important healthcare issues from the show; 32 percent said that they get information that helps them make choices about their own or their family’s healthcare. Source: http://www.themediaproject.com
- 2 out of 3 shows on TV include sexual content, this was an increase from about 1/2 of all shows during the 1997-1998 season.
- In addition, Sexual Intercourse is depicted or strongly implied in one of every 10 shows on TV
Therefore, if 53% of people are watching ER for medical advise; the same amount of people may be learning sexual behavior from primetime TV. Hmmm…
Is this affecting us? or Is it just helping us to see a different side of the sexual experience? You know what, in few years we can watch PORN for free on primetime TV wouldn’t that be great (Laughing).