Today, is a new day!
- You are now on a new adventure, your best friend has relocated, you are in a town where now you have no BF.
- You and your family have move to new city to start your new life
- You may be a person that has recently changed jobs and now is spending time with unknown people for over 8 hours a day.
You wake up one day and realize WAIT I have no friends.
- You notice that you do not have someone in a “physical form” to have a meaningful conversation with.
- Yes, you have your kids or you have your spouse however, what about people outside of this network?
- You may also have a good network of friends but they live in another city.
- You have no family and you want another movie goer to hangout with, workout partner, a foodie, or another concert goer .
You wonder, how do I meet people who have the same interest as me or how do I meet other couples?
I wish it was so simple to meet people, hmmm, maybe we should just place an ad on Craigslist!
GREAT ADS that I came up with (laughing)
- Tired of talking about the same old crap! Looking for people to talk about new stuff!
- My BF tried to sleep with my man and now I need a new friend! Looking for someone not to sleep with my man.
- Couples with kids seeking other couples with kids to have dinner and great conversations
- Stay at Home Mom who is tired of talking to other moms about her kids, looking for SAHM to have coffee NO KID talk.
- Newly divorced looking for friends who have nothing do with my ex-partner
- In a boring relationship and needing someone to hangout with on the weekends
- Looking for someone to spend time with watching girlie movies, drinking wine and eating junk food
Side Note: STOP! Please do not place an ad on Craigslist (this was just for fun).
Interesting, but slightly boring INFO:
- Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research, 2009 concluded that many of us will change friends like we change our jobs every 7 years.
- We meet most of our friends in social situations that we are familiar with such as, work, church, school or social club.
- More and more people are looking for friendships that are not in the “physical form” through social networks such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We have 500 virtual friends and are still lonely!
- “Some of the most profound loneliness can happen when other people are present,” says Harry Reis, professor of psychology at the University of Rochester.
OK, now that you are in this situation, what do you do about it?
- Start opening up and talking to your co-workers asking them their interest.
- Start Dating for friendships online: http://www.meetup.com, http://www.girlfriendcircles.com, http://www.girlfriendsocial.com
- Go online and see if a group is attending an event and join them.
- Start talking to people.
- If you are a bit shy, and have kids, set-up play dates with your kids friends and invite the parents.
- Volunteer at social events in your town.
- Join a club
- Start a new hobby or enroll in an interesting training program.
Oh by the way, you may meet some weird people on your journey or you can meet fantastic people with your same interest. I found really great people online. I have play-dates, couple dinner dates with cool fun people. Remember, if you decide not get out of your comfort zone then you will meet no one (smile).
Stay lonely or meet new people, it is up to you to get out of your rut!
Find a new friend!
Can you believe it, we are now dating for friends, what has this world come to!!!! The older we get the smaller our circle of friends become. Plus with age and experience you will have new interest therefore, dating for friends is not a desperate act or bad thing to do.
TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH!